Education Pathways is part of the EborHope Teaching Schools Alliance, working with Just Imagine to deliver high quality CPD for all school staff from EYFA to secondary phase – anyone who wants to further develop their knowledge of children’s books in this area.
The cost is £100 per delegate for the day session, we will invoice you. Irrespective of your school or multi-academy trust status, this is a valuable network opportunity open to everyone.
Developing Comprehension Day 1: discussion and dialogue
Facilitator: Nikki Gamble
Day 1 of our comprehension course poses two key questions:
What does research tell us about the ways readers comprehend text?
How can we translate this knowledge into pedagogy?
The day will start with the presentation of a model of comprehension underpinned by recent research. We will examine the different factors affecting reading comprehension and consider how to teach the skills that support children’s understanding.
We will give close attention to the role of dialogue and discussion in supporting and challenging children’s thinking.
Areas of focus
- aural and reading comprehension
- the components of reading comprehension
- the balance of contextual knowledge and reading skills
- selecting texts and working with the text potential planner (Tennent, Reedy, Hobsbaum and Gamble 2016)
- dialogue and discussions, managing high quality pupil-pupil and teacher-pupil talk
- the social construction of knowledge and inter-thinking
- critical, efferent and expressive modes of talk and their role in building understanding
- tools for observing reading
Note: this is day 1 of a 3 day course. Gap tasks will be set between each session and there will be opportunities to reflect on progress and development. It is recommended that participants enrol for all three sessions to gain maximum benefit. It is however possible to enrol for a single session.
The aim is to build subject knowledge and subject pedagogy.
To book, email firstname.lastname@example.org (please state any dietary requirements)